Qingqing Wei, PhD
Department of Cellular Biology and Anatomy
Office: R&E Building, CB1124
envelope-o icon email@example.com
Dr. Zheng Dong's Research Lab
R&E Building, CB1124
Phone: 706-721-3551, 706-721-4292
Dong Lab Personnel
Qingqing Wei, PhD, Asst Professor
Man J. Livingston, MD/PhD, Asst Res Scientist
Shixuan Wang, MD/PhD, Asst Res Scientist
Guie Dong, Research Associate
Zhengwei Ma, MD/PhD, Research Associate
Chunyuan Guo, PhD, Postdoctorial Fellow
Fang Wan, MD/PhD, Visiting Researcher
Zhixia Song, MD/PhD, Visiting Researcher
Jiefu Zhu, MD, Visiting Graduate Student
Xiaohong Xiang, MD, Visiting Graduate Student
Mengru Zeng, MD, Visiting Graduate Student
Yu Yan, Visiting Graduate Student
Zhao, Xingchen, MD, Visiting Researcher
1996 - BS, Nanjing University, Nanjing Jiangsu P.R. China
2001 - PhD, Shanghai Institute of Physiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Shanghai
Post Doctoral Training
Augusta University 2002-2005
University of Virginia 2001-2002
Acute kidney injury (AKI) is a major kidney disease with high mortality clinically,
which can be induced by ischemia or nephrotoxins. To figure out more effective therapies,
researchers are still working on the mechanisms of AKI. MicroRNAs are newly identified
molecules which are suggested to play critical roles in development, physiology and
pathology of diseases. However, little is known about the role of microRNAs in AKI.
With mice of Dicer (a key enzyme to produce mature microRNAs) conditional depletion
in renal proximal tubules, we are going to investigate the regulation of microRNAs
in animal models of AKI and we are trying to identify the specific microRNAs that
contribute to AKI.
- Q Wei, S Chen, X Cheng, X Yu, J Hu, M Li, and P Zhu. Topography of skeletal muscle
ryanodine receptors studied by atomic force microscopy. Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology B, 18(2): P636-638, 2000.
- R Xia, X Cheng, H Wang, K Chen, Q Wei, X Zhang and P Zhu. Biphasic modulation of ryanodine
binding to HSR of skeletal muscle by zinc ions. Biochemical Journal 345: P279-286, 2000.
- H Wang, Q Wei, X Cheng, K Chen and P Zhu. Inhibition of ryanodine binding to sarcoplasmic
reticulum vesicles of cardiac muscle by Zn2+ ions. Cellular Physiology and Biochemistry 11: 83-92, 2001.
- Q Wei, X Cheng, K Chen, J Hu, M Li and P Zhu. The atomic force microscopy study of
the rabbit skeletal ryanodine receptor in different functional states. Science in China (Series C), 31(6): 565-573, 2001.
- Q Wei, M Alam, M Wang, F Yu and Z Dong. Bid activation in kidney cells following ATP
depletion in vitro and ischemia in vivo. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology 286(4): F803-F809, 2004.
- J Wang, Q Wei, C Wang, W Hill, D Hess and Z Dong. Minocycline up-regulates Bcl-2 and
protects against cell death in the mitochondria. The Journal of Biological Chemistry, 279(19): 19948-19954, 2004.
- Q Wei, J Wang, MH Wang, F Yu and Z Dong. Inhibition of apoptosis by Zn2+ in renal
tubular cells following ATP-depletion. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology, 287(3): F492-F500, 2004.
- Q Wei, MH Wang and Z Dong. Differential gender difference in ischemic and nephrotoxic
acute renal failure. American Journal of Nephrology, 25: 491-499, 2005.
- Q Wei, XM Yin, MH Wang and Z Dong. Bid deficiency ameliorates ischemic renal failure
and delays animal death in C57BL/6 mice American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology, 290: F35-F42, 2006.
- M Jiang, Q Wei, J Wang, Q Du, J Yu, L Zhang and Z Dong. Regulation of PUMA-a by p53
in cisplatin-induced renal cell apoptosis. Oncogene, 25: 4056-4066, 2006.
- M Jiang, Q Wei, N Pabla, G Dong, CY Wang, T Yang, SB Smith and Z Dong. Effects of
hydroxyl radical scavenging on cisplatin-induced p53 activation, tubular cell apoptosis
and nephrotoxicity. Biochemical Pharmacology, 73: 1499-1510, 2007.
- Q Wei, G Dong, J Franklin, Z Dong. The pathological role of Bax in cisplatin nephrotoxicity.
Kidney International, 72: 53-62, 2007.
- C Brooks, Q Wei, L Feng, G Dong, Y Tao, L Mei, ZJ Xie, Z Dong. Bak regulates mitochondrial
morphology and pathology during apoptosis by interacting with mitofusins. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 104: 11649-11654, 2007.
- Q Wei, G Dong, T Yang, J Megyesi, PM Price, Z Dong. Activation and Involvement of
p53 in Cisplatin-induced Nephrotoxicity. American Journal of Physiology-Renal Physiology, 293(4): F1282-1291, 2007.
- S Periyasamy-Thandavan, M Jiang, Q Wei, R Smith, XM Yin, Z Dong. Autophagy is cytoprotective
during cisplatin injury of renal proximal tubular cells. Kidney International, 74: 631-640, 2008.
- C Brooks, Q Wei, SG Cho, Z Dong. Regulation of mitochondrial dynamics in acute kidney
injury in cell culture and rodent model. J Clin Invest, 119(5): 1275-1285, 2009. (Brooks and Wei are co-first authors.)
- Q Wei, Z Dong. Regulation and pathological role of Bid in ischemic acute kidney injury.
Renal Failure, 29(8): 935-940, 2007.